Assoc Director Disease Surveillance, Paul G. Allen School for Global Health
Dr. Baszler recognizes that effective animal health services are essential for the development of state-of-the-art surveillance systems that can detect emerging pathogens as well as endemic and epidemic pathogens of importance to both human and animal health. As such, his efforts are largely focused on the advancement and delivery of tools for laboratory diagnosticians and regulatory disease officials with the long-term goal of increasing capacity in under-developed countries to ensure a national disease surveillance system can be implemented and effective.
Current efforts and projects focus on:
- Global infectious disease surveillance and diagnostic capacity building in developing countries
- Diagnostic methods expansion, validation, and implementation
- Improvement of diagnostic laboratory Quality Management Systems including laboratory biosafety & biosecurity practices
- Development and implementation of surveillances systems for antimicrobial resistance
Dr. Baszler is professor and associate director of disease surveillance in the Paul G. Allen School for Global Animal Health. He is a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists, Past President of the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD) and current Chair of the AAVLD laboratory Accreditation Committee.
- LeCuyer TE, Rink A, Bradway DS, Evermann JF, Nicola AV, Baszler T, Haldorson GJ (2015) Abortion in a Mediterranean miniature donkey (Equus asinus) associated with a gammaherpesvirus similar to Equid herpesvirus 7. J Vet Diagn Invest 749-53. doi: 10.1177/1040638715611444 PMID: 26462760 PMCID:
- Ip HS, Torchetti MK, Crespo R, Kohrs P, DeBruyn P, Mansfield KG, Baszler T, Badcoe L, Bodenstein B, Shearn-Bochsler V, Killian ML, Pedersen JC, Hines N, Gidlewski T, DeLiberto T, Sleeman JM (2015) Novel Eurasian highly pathogenic avian influenza A H5 viruses in wild birds, Washington, USA, 2014. Emerging Infectious Diseases Emerg Infect Dis. 2015 May;21(5):886-90. doi: 10.3201/eid2105.142020. PMID: 25898265 PMCID: PMC4412248
- Global food security addressed by WSU faculty
- The 2014 E. P. Pope Memorial Award to Dr. Tim Baszler
- WSU is testing animals for COVID-19 to learn more about how the virus moves between species
- How Scientists Stay on Top of Infectious Disease Outbreaks
- Seven WSU faculty elected to Washington State Academy of Sciences
- WADDL executive receives AAVLD Distinguished Service Award
- Animal Health Lab Grows a New 'Wing'