Faculty and Staff Awards
Were you looking for a list of our latest grants?
- M. Kariuki Njenga has been elected to the National Academy of Medicine.
- Professors Doug Call and Jonathan Yoder were elected to the Washington State Academy of Sciences.
- Regents Professor Guy Palmer was awarded the WSU Alumni Association Achievement Award for 30 years of service.
- Thumbi Mwangi was named one of Kenya’s top 40 under 40 for his rabies research that has helped reduce Kenya’s rabies deaths, enabled the Kenyan government to adopt a rabies policy and contributed to a strategic plan to eliminate the disease in humans by 2030.
- Anthony Nicola was the recipient of the Zoetis Award for Research Excellence.
- Professor Doug Call received the Sahlin Faculty Excellence Award for Research Scholarship and Arts
Antibiotics from Cattle
Professor Doug Call leads antibiotic resistance research with Tanzania’s Maasai tribe. As their herds receive antibiotics, it is then passed to the tribe through milk. The constant low level antibiotic flow selects for resistant strains of microbes that defeat antibiotic treatments for both animals and humans. This situation leads to greater antibiotic resistance problems with injuries and surgeries where antibiotics are needed.